Last updated 5 March 2014
| 2013 |
- 05 Mar 14 | 10th European Team Championship Announced
- Marco Caressa, ICCF-Europa Zonal Director, writes to announce the semi-final stage of the 10th European Team Championship. This event has been
somewhat delayed due to the late finish of the previous cycle, but play is now scheduled to begin on 10th June 2014. Each participating country fields
an 8-person team, and 13 teams will contest the final (the size of semi-final sections will depend on numbers entering). Games are plyed by webserver and
there are no entry fees. Registration closes on 30th April; if you are interested in representing Scotland, then please email
George Pyrich before Good Friday, April 18th.
- 04 Mar 14 | Friendly Versus France Starts
- George Pyrich and his counterpart Laurent Tinture have concluded the pairings for another friendly match, this time versus France. The formal
start date is 10 March, though play is possible now. The match is on webserver, over 23 boards. We've played France twice before: back in 1997 we
started an all-postal fixture over 29 boards, losing 23-32 with 3 void ties, while more recently in 2011 we started a mixed webserver/postal match
over 32 boards and were thrashed 17-47. They're still quite handy, so another tough contest awaits! Best wishes to everybody for enjoyable chess
amid friendships old and new!
- 07 Feb 14 | ICCF Events Player Links Updated
- With a relatively small active player pool in Scotland, SCCA members enter numerous ICCF and National Federation events each year (we had a
record 98 such entrants during 2013). The SCCA website offers a series of pages where members can quickly link to the relevant x-tables held on the
ICCF webserver. The pages are organised by the type of event, e.g. the major team tournaments (Olympiads, European Team Championships,
Champions League), and popular individual events (World Championships, Norms, Master/Higher/Open Classes, World Cups, Thematics, etc.). The new
ICCF Aspirers event is included this year. To access the pages, use the Events Menu, then either ICCF Team or ICCF Individual. Links are now up
to date as of 31 December 2013.
- 01 Feb 14 | SCCA Website Hosting Change
- We changed hosting suppliers last night, so some of you may have experienced an outage on Friday evening/Saturday morning. Everything
seems to be connected now, but please contact the webmaster
if you encounter any problems.
- 30 Jan 14 | ICCF Webserver Player Survey
- Eric Ruch, ICCF President, writes to invite players to complete a short survey to help guide future ICCF development and services.
Please click ICCF Survey to complete the questionnaire. All entrants
will have a chance to enter a prize draw to win a free Direct Entry to an ICCF event of their choosing
(qualifications permitting). To enter the prize draw you must record your ICCF ID on the questionnaire, however this is optional, and your
responses will be treated as being confidential. The survey will close on 15th March 2014.
- 13 Jan 14 | ICCF European Championship Candidates 2014
- Marco Caressa, ICCF-Europa Zonal Director, writes to announce the Candidates stage of the 2014 Championship. This is a webserver event and
registration is open from now until 20th February. Play is scheduled to start on 15th March and sections are expected to have 13 players. The
following players are eligible:
- a player rated 2500 or over at the time of application.
- the holders of the Grandmaster Title.
- the holders of the Senior International Master Title with a rating over 2400 at the time of application.
- the holders of the International Master Title with a rating over 2450 at the time of application.
- those participants of EU/SF 68 and 69 who achieved at least 55% scores (unless they already hold qualification under any of 1 to 4 above).
- the participants of previous or running Finals who have scored at least 45% of the possible points, if they have not earned a higher qualification.
- Please email George Pyrich for further details
and to register your interest. Entry fee via SCCA will be £12.
- 07 Jan 14 | ICCF Webserver Update
- Austin Lockwood, ICCF Services Director, writes to update the webserver information published in SCCA Magazine 124. System changes made over the
Christmas period were more extensive than anticipated, so new features are available now. Players can download a briefing document in
pdf format. Similarly, TOs and TDs can read their briefing in
- 03 Jan 14 | ICCF 3rd Chess 960 World Cup
- Leonardo Madonia, ICCF Central Tournament Leader, writes to announce the 3rd Chess 960 World Cup. The event will be played by server and will be
organised in three or four stages, depending from the number of the entries. The sections of the preliminary round will have 6 players (10 games)
with 2 qualified for the next round. All sections will be with double round robin (players will have the same position with Black and White but
all positions will defer from one opponent to another). Time control will be 10 moves for 30 days. The event will be rated for Chess 960 rating
system. Registration closes on 28th February and play will start on 15th March. Entry through the SCCA qualifies for the newly reduced rate of £8.50.
For further information, please contact George Pyrich.
- 03 Jan 14 | ICCF Grading List 2014/1 Published
- The fourth quarterly list of 2013 is published on the website today. Look under publications/grading list
to see the web page, or go to members/downloads for the pdf version. For further information, please contact
- 03 Jan 14 | Magazine 124 Published
- The fourth e-mag of the 2013 set is being distributed by email and post today. As usual, members will be
asked to download their e-mags from the secure Members' page on the website, while complimentary e-mags will be attached to the email.
Download times will similar to last quarter. If you have any problems with this edition, please drop me an email at:
and I'll do what I can to help. Enjoy the read!
- 03 Jan 14 | ICCF President's New Year Message
- To all Correspondence Chess Friends,
- As 2013 ends I should like to extend on behalf of ICCF my warmest wishes to you and all those dear to you for a very healthy, happy and successful
New Year. I also wish to extend my sincere thanks to all officials and delegates for their devoted work on behalf of ICCF during the last year.
- This last year has indeed been demanding for all ICCF officials and volunteers but nevertheless has proved to be successful for ICCF which has
achieved substantial progress and improvement.
- We have further consolidated, expanding both the website and the server (now available in eight languages and is accessible by a full range of
mobile devices (smartphones, i-pads, etc.)). Whilst complete statistics for entries to all ICCF events during 2013 are not yet available, we may already
confirm that the number of entries received via the Direct Entry facility has continued to increase significantly. In 2009, 687 entries were received
increasing to 1,349 in 2011 and now to 1,670 for the first 11 months of 2013 (more than 5 entries every day!). Additionally more than 1,000 entries were
received for ICCF World Cup 20 which started in 2013, a very significant increase over the total of 749 received for the last server World Cup which
started in 2011. As Entry Fees for all ICCF events will be reduced on average by 25% from 1 January 2014, we may be optimistic in anticipating further
increases to entries in coming years!
- The 2013 ICCF Congress in Krakow approved a number of major decisions which will now be implemented in 2014: revised time controls (including the
introduction of incremental time or the Fischer clock), the removal of special leave and increase of normal leave allocation in new events starting after
1 January 2014, the introduction of table base claims, the introduction of a new rating system for Chess960 tournaments, etc.
- We will devote the coming year to the consolidation of the server and the website as it is now in order to allow players, tournament directors,
organizers and all officials to utilize further all the possibilities of this powerful tool. Additionally in 2014 we do not intend to introduce major
changes to either the Playing or Tournament Rules and instead shall seek to assess and evaluate the implementation of the changes to the ICCF Rules
approved at the 2013 ICCF Congress. At present we anticipate that a period of at least two years will be required to in order to evaluate changes,
obtain feedback from users and proceed with any necessary adjustments.
- Leaving aside further developments to the ICCF server and rules will instead allow us during 2014 to consider the long term future of ICCF and seek
to define a strategic plan for future years. You may expect to be advised more about these issues during the coming weeks.
- I look forward to meeting you in Sydney in October for the 2014 ICCF Congress to be hosted for the first time by the Correspondence Chess League
- In closing, let me once again extend to you my best wishes for the New Year. I hope that 2014 will bring satisfaction in all your endeavors,
personal, professional and chess!
- Amici Sumus,
- Eric Ruch
- ICCF President